Back to the Recipe Vault.
This beer won First Place in the 2007 Pacific
First Place in the Belgian & French Ale Category.
Ingredients for 10 Gallons
- 16 lb. Belgian Pilsner Malt
- 5 lb. 10°L German Munich malt
- 3 lb. 4°L German Vienna Malt
- 1/2 lb.23°L Belgian Aromatic Malt
- 3.2 oz. Cascade Homegrown 5.2% (60 min)
- 2.0 oz. Crystal Loose leaf, 3.5% (10 min.)
- 1.0 oz. Saaz Pellets, 3.6% (5 min.)
- 1/4 oz. Sweet Orange Peel, dried
- Add at the 5 minute mark with the Saaz hops
- White Labs #565 Saison Yeast
- Make 1 qt starter with 1.020 gravity using dry malt extract
Mash-in with 20 Qt of water at 142°F. Target temp 130°F.
Protein rest for 25 minutes.
Step infuse with 10 Qt boiling water and stir. Target temperature 153°F.
Mash for 1 hr.
Sparge with about 40 Qt water at 170°F.
Skim very thick creamy white hot break prior to first hop addition.
Add 1 tsp rehydrated Irish Moss at the 20 minute mark.
Rapid chill with immersion chiller.
Ferment at 70°F for 22 days.
Rack the rest into secondary for 20 days at 70 to 75°F.
Prime and bottle 4 1/2 gallons with 135 gm priming sugar. Keg and force carbonate
A dead ringer for Saison DuPont. Can't get much better than that. Could I have
the recipe? (Here you go, Jim.)
I let this fermentation go through the dog days of summer. I gave it plenty of
carbonation to be consistent with the style. However. I ended up with a couple
of bottle bombs as a result.